SBS’S PORTFOLIO OF ACADEMIC PROGRAMMES
The triple accredited SBS offers an MBA, MPhil degrees (Management Coaching, Development Finance, Futures Studies), PhD degrees (Business Management, Development Finance), postgraduate diplomas (Business Management and Administration, Development Finance, Futures Studies, Leadership, Project Management) and executive development.
- MBA: SBS’s triple accredited MBA gives students an astute understanding of business, enabling them to take on positions on senior management level in any industry. It also allows them to lead with confidence, think critically, function globally, build business connections and apply business knowledge to the benefit of society. The programme consists of core modules, electives, a research assignment and a compulsory International Study Module at a foreign business school (costs included in MBA fees). SBS offers a Full-time MBA (1 year), and Modular MBA (2 years; blocks of classes; various intakes). All programmes are presented in English, except the one modular MBA commencing in February, which is mainly Afrikaans. Find more information at www.usb.ac.za/mba.
- MPhil in Development Finance: The MPhil in Development Finance (MDevF) covers all aspects of development finance, including a thorough understanding of the theories underpinning development finance practices. It also focuses on enterprise-level development finance and sustainable growth. This makes the MDevF a critical-skills degree for Africa. It is aimed at people who are involved with finance and financial management issues in developing countries. This is a two-year modular programme (3 blocks of 2 weeks each on the SBS campus). A research assignment must be completed. Find more information at www.usb.ac.za/mdevfin.
- MPhil in Management Coaching: This degree will enable you to confidently coach managers and leaders towards reaching their full potential. This programme adheres to international best practice while also emphasising management coaching in a uniquely African context. This 2-year programme consists of 5 one-week modules and a research assignment. Find more information at www.usb.ac.za/coaching.
- MPhil in Futures Studies: SBS’s internationally accredited MPhil in Futures Studies builds on the School’s Postgraduate Diploma in Futures Studies to deepen your understanding of futures concepts and futures tools. As such, it is aimed at anyone who wants to bring about a more desirable future. It is also aimed at turning you into a professional futurist. This qualification will therefore equip decision makers and strategic planners with essential skills to make strategic long-term decisions so that they can deal with rapid and complex changes both locally and internationally. This is the only MPhil degree of its kind in Africa. This 2-year programme consists of about 25 blended learning sessions and a research assignment. Find more information at www.usb.ac.za/mphilfutures.
- PhD in Business Management and Administration: This doctoral programme focuses on in-depth research to develop employable knowledge that can be applied directly in the workplace. It is a non-structured programme that allows students to determine their own timing. Participants may enrol for full-time or part-time studies. Find more information at www.usb.ac.za/phd.
- PhD in Development Finance: The purpose of SBS's internationally accredited PhD in Development Finance is to contribute to a crucial understanding of development finance and to support the growth agendas of South Africa, the greater African continent and beyond. It also leads to employable expertise. It is structured into a course-work component (2 blocks of 2 weeks each on campus) and a research component during the second and subsequent years of registration. Find more information at www.usb.ac.za/phd-in-development-finance.
- PhD in Futures Studies: This research degree forms part of SBS’s Futures Studies cluster of programmes. It allows students to become specialists in this field by acquiring in-depth knowledge through doctoral research. The programme is aimed at professional futurists, decision makers and strategic planners who would like to distinguish themselves through in-depth research aimed at helping people to bring about a more desirable future. This is the only PhD degree of its kind in Africa. Find more information at www.usb.ac.za/phdfutures.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Business Management and Administration: This programme allows students to acquire entrepreneurship skills and an entrepreneurial approach to business, as well as general management skills and an understanding of business in Africa. It can also provide access to an MBA. Graduates continuing with SBS’s MBA will get recognition for 32 credits (15%) on the MBA. This learn-while-you-earn programme over 1 year is delivered in two formats: Choose between Blended learning (combination of on-campus and online classes) and Modular (5 blocks of on-campus classes). Find more information at www.usb.ac.za/pgdbma.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Development Finance: This programme provides managers with a clear understanding of the role of development finance, especially in Africa. Outcomes include the ability to contribute meaningfully to the design and implementation of development finance policies and projects. This is a modular programme (2 on-campus blocks of classes spread over 1 year), which allows you to study while you work. Find more details at www.usb.ac.za/pgddevfin.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Futures Studies: This programme will equip decision makers and strategic planners with essential skills to make strategic long-term decisions so that they can deal with rapid and complex changes both locally and internationally. This programme can also provide access to SBS’s MPhil in Futures Studies. Both SBS’s Postgraduate Diploma and MPhil in Futures Studies are the only programmes of their kind in Africa. It is delivered in 1 on-campus block (4 days) and about 25 blended learning sessions, allowing students to study while they work. Find more details at www.usb.ac.za/pgdfutures.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Leadership Development: This programme acknowledges leadership as the prime driver of a culture of performance. That is why the programme focuses on your development as a leader and not on managerial functions such as finance, marketing and economics as well. These leadership competencies can be applied in any industry, anywhere in the world. The programme is aimed at managers in the private and public sector, professionals who want to prepare for managerial positions, and those who want to broaden their leadership competencies. It is presented in 4 study blocks over 1 year. Find more information at www.usb.ac.za/leadership.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Project Management: This programme focuses on strategic project management and upper management skills to produce professional project managers. The modules include risk, procurement, communication and cost management, as well as project leadership. It is presented in 6 study blocks (1 week each) spread over 2 years. Project management is listed as a scarce skill in South Africa. Find more details at www.usb.ac.za/projectmanagement.
- Executive education: SBS Executive Development Ltd (SBS-ED) offers comprehensive programmes for managers from entry to executive level as well as discipline-specific programmes. Find more information at www.usb-ed.com.
- Programmes for visiting groups of students: The SBS structures programmes for visiting or incoming groups from foreign business schools. These groups typically follow a one-week or two-week programme which includes classroom lectures, live case studies based on the industries of their choice, engagement and networking, company visits, cultural activities and sightseeing to let students experience the SBS and South Africa first-hand. Find more information at www.usb.ac.za/pages/international/visiting-groups.aspx.
RESEARCH CENTRES AND UNITS
Various centres at SBS undertake specialised research, publish articles and journals, and offer workshops, programmes and conferences. Among them are the Centre for Corporate Governance in Africa, the African Centre for Dispute Settlement, the Centre for Leadership Studies, the Base of the Pyramid Learning Lab and the Institute for Futures Research. Find more information at www.usb.ac.za.
SBS’s main social initiatives are its Small Business Academy (SBA), its subsidised Management Programme for Non-profit Organisations and a bursary programme.
Through its Small Business Academy – launched in May 2012 – the Stellenbosch Business School (SBS) aims to give life to its vision of meaningful engagement with society at large. SBS hopes to contribute in its area of expertise, namely business education.
With the Small Business Academy, the business school wants to make a difference to the lives and businesses of small business owners in Khayelitsha and Mitchells Plain. The school has therefore made a commitment to share knowledge and work closely with these small business owners in an effort to develop business skills. SBS works with corporate sponsors and other stakeholders to achieve this. Find more information at www.usb.ac.za/sba.