Core Courses for the Rhodes MBA programme
The Rhodes MBA programme consists of fifteen core compulsory modules which are taken throughout the two and a half years of the MBA programme. These include:
First Year Core Courses
1. Academic and Personal Skills: academic knowledge, academic writing, academic assessment, learning strategies, presentation skills, personal leadership, working in teams, writing skills, accessing library resources.
2. Principles of Sustainability: business ethics and corporate social responsibility, sustainable development, triple bottom line, development of sustainability indicators, trends in environmental management.
3. Macroeconomics: macro and global economic factors and policy that influence the firm and decision-making, monetary policy, nature and trends of the South African economy and challenges confronting it, indicators of economic activity.
4. Fundamentals of Accounting: this course is only required for those candidates who have not had any formal accounting qualification or prior accounting work experience.
This course is also recommended for candidates wanting to review accounting principles.
5. Financial Accounting: recording and reporting accounting information, practical recording issues, recording and reporting investments and non-current assets, shareholder’s equity and liability.
6. Marketing: the marketing concept, market segmentation, consumer behaviour, marketing research, distribution strategy, product strategy, pricing strategy, promotional strategy, services marketing, relationship marketing, social marketing, responsible consumption.
7. Microeconomics: managerial economics and its application to problem solving and decision-making, pricing, costs and profits, pricing for greater profits, decisionmaking in uncertainty, organizational design and firm decision-making.
8. Financial Management: working capital decisions, capital investment appraisal, measuring and dealing with risk, sources of finance, cost of capital, ratio analysis, dividend decision.
9. Strategic Management: strategic intent, strategy maps, the business environment, SWOT analysis, core competency analysis, strategic objectives and the Balanced Scorecard, corporate level strategies, business level strategies.
10. Quantitative Decision-Making A: summarizing data statistically, presenting and interpreting data.
Second Year Core Courses
11. Leadership: contemporary leadership approaches, leadership styles and emotional intelligence, African leadership, leading a diverse organization.
12. Research Method: the research proposal, research paradigms, research methods, data collection methods, quantitative and qualitative data analysis.
13. Quantitative Decision-Making B: inferential statistics, significance testing, time series analysis and forecasting, marketing research practice.
14. People Management: organizational theory, organizational behaviour, legal considerations, recruitment and selection, rewarding, developing and motivating staff, performance management, change management, grievances and discipline, managing diversity.
15. Operations Management: process types and process flows in manufacturing, performance measurement, benchmarking and re-engineering, production planning, quality management, lean thinking and world class manufacturing, supply chain management.
Third Year Research Paper:
25. Research Paper: A research report of 15 000 words on a research topic of the candidate’s choice, subject to suitable supervisory support, is to be submitted in the first semester.